PRISM – Mentoring for the 2SLGBTQIA* community
PRISM is an innovative mentoring program designed specifically for the 2SLGBTQIA* community in Winnipeg.
The first of its kind in Manitoba, the PRISM program matches children and youth who identify as 2SLGBTQIA* with an adult mentor who also identifies as 2SLGBTQIA*for a one on one mentoring relationship. Through regular outings, the match will foster a friendship that is supportive, empowering and fun!
The purpose of a PRISM match is to:
- Provide role models for 2SLGBTQIA* children and youth
- Foster pride and self-confidence
- Create inter-generational connections within Winnipeg’s 2SLGBTQIA* community
- Offer 2SLGBTQIA*children and youth a safe adult mentor to discuss identity with
- and above all, have fun!
Children and youth interested in being matched with a mentor must:
- Self identify as 2SLGBTQIA*
- Be between 9 and 17 years old
- Want a mentor who identifies as 2SLGBTQIA*
The 2SLGBTQIA* community has a rich legacy of forging informal mentoring networks as a mode of survival. Today, the community has made great strides, yet 2SLGBTQIA* youth continue to face barriers. Research shows that formal mentoring programs are a powerful, protective factor for this demographic as they develop their own unique sense of self.
The PRISM program requires volunteers to commit to one outing per week, for a couple of hours. Mentors and mentees are asked to commit for a minimum of one year.
Volunteer mentors are extensively screened and properly trained before they are matched. Each match receives the ongoing support of a professional caseworker through Big Brothers Big Sisters of Winnipeg.